How to Make Jerk Chicken
Jerk chicken is one of the many chicken dishes that you would love to have repeatedly once you have had a taste of it. Jerk chicken is a Caribbean dish that is enjoyed by many in the region. One unique thing about jerk chicken is the blend of spices that gives it a vibrant taste, coupled with the fact that; the chicken is usually left to marinate overnight, making the flavors richer.
It is necessary to have a grill pan or a grill and charcoal stove, which you can use for grilling the chicken. Ready for a Caribbean twist to your barbecued chicken? Let’s go!
To prepare jerk chicken, you would need the following ingredients:
- Jamaican peppercorn/allspice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ginger
- 1 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 whole chicken (already cleaned and chopped in parts)
- Fresh coriander
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon of chili pepper flakes
The procedures for preparing jerk chicken include:
1. Wash and thinly chop all the ginger, garlic, scotch bonnet, spring onions, parsley, and fresh coriander. Make sure they are all finely chopped.
2. For the chili pepper flakes and allspice, using a hand mortar and pestle, crush together.
3. Add all the ingredients into a bowl alongside the honey and brown sugar. The honey and brown sugar gives your spices a sweet taste.
4. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. This mixture would have a sweet and spicy taste at the same time. (Are you salivating already? me too!)
5. Then rub the mixture into the chicken till every part gets covered with the spices.
6. Put into a bowl and cover with cling film. Then leave to marinate for up to 3-4 hours or best overnight.
7. When it has properly marinated, on a hot grill pan, cook for 40 minutes first putting the skin of the chicken so it can get crispy. If you do not have a grill pan, you can use a grill over a charcoal stove just like when suya is grilled.
8. Afterwards, flip it to the other side and let it cook through. You would notice the juices of the spice mixture drying up on the skin of the chicken. The aroma at this point is so irresistible.
9. Then using the limes, squeeze some fresh lime juice over the chicken. Serve while it is still hot.
10. Enjoy your jerk chicken alone, with rice or plantains and a cold beverage.