NIGERIAN PEPPER SOUP
Nigerian pepper soup is one of the most sought after soups in Nigeria and it is names after the meat used in cooking it. For example, Goat meat pepper soup, catfish pepper soup and chicken pepper soup. It is a broth-like spicy and savoury soup which is being prepared with assorted meat or fish with some hot local spices.
The recipe below is for Goat meat pepper soup.
- 500g of goat meat – cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoonful of pepper soup spice mix (Can be bought in any African store)
- Chilli pepper (enough to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of thyme (Optional)
- 1 tablespoonful of ground crayfish
- 2 bouillon cubes (knorr)
- Chopped onions
- Water (as needed)
- Uziza (basil) leaves
- Wash the chopped meat and put inside a clean pot, add salt, thyme and water, leave to cook till its soft.
- Add the chopped onions and bouillon cubes. Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the ground pepper, ground crayfish, uziza leaves, and the pepper soup spice mix. Mix thoroughly and allow it to cook.
- Taste and adjust where necessary.
Viola!!! Your pepper soup is ready to be served.
The pepper soup can be served alone or as a side dish with boiled yams, boiled white rice, boiled plantains and boiled potatoes.